load balancing in PBS

Yann COSTES Yann.Costes at cdc.u-cergy.fr
Thu Sep 7 01:56:16 PDT 2000

Hi all,

I try to enable load balancing with PBS on a five nodes Linux cluster.
Each node has 2 processors and I'd like to have the following policy :
1) Each node can run up to 4 sequential jobs (2 jobs by processor).
2) If the cluster doesn't still run any job and if I submit 6 sequential
jobs, I'd like that the 1st job go to the 1st node, the 2nd job on the
2nd node, ..., the 5th job on the 5th node and the 6th job on the 1st
node.

Firstly, I have put the name of each node followed by :ts in the file
/var/spool/pbs/server_priv/nodes.
After, I wrote the line "load_balancing: true    ALL" in the file
/var/spool/pbs/sched_priv/sched_config.
In the file /var/spool/pbs/mom_priv/config of each node, a value must be
assigned to ideal_load and max_load.
With ideal_load=1.5 and max_load=2, the 4 first jobs are executed on the
1st node and the 2 last jobs on the 2nd node.

I don't see how to configure the policy I want. Any idea ?

Thanks in advance for your help

--
Yann Costes
Cergy-Pontoise university