fortran compiler

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Fri Oct 27 16:35:46 PDT 2000

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Zubin wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend a good fortran compiler for a beowulf cluster?  Absoft,
> > Portland Group?  They both offer cluster solutions also, anyone have
> > comments?
>
> They're both decent from my limited experiments and feedback from folks
> here that use Fortran. I'd have to rank Portland a bit over Absoft, but
> I don't use Fortran any more myself (unless someone straps a small
> nuclear device to my children and threatens me with detonation) so this
> on the fuzziest of bases.
>
> One remark of interest is that I had a hard time compiling ATLAS with
> EITHER of them.  ATLAS seems to really want g77, of all things.  Don't
> ask me why.  If I were a more regular fortran user (instead of having
> last willingly used fortran back when it was fortran IV and I hadn't yet
> discovered C) perhaps I could have made either of them work, but...

Actually, I had no problems compiling ATLAS with pgf77 (Portland group).
What you do not want to do is to use pgcc (Portland group C compiler) to
compile ATLAS. But the combination gcc + pgf77 (or pgf90) works fine.
Here is how (with help from Clint Whaley):

make config --> this creates ATLAS/Make.<arch>. Just change F77, and
F77FLAGS of this file.

The same should work with Absoft.
It would be a shame to build the Fortran interface with g77:
You gain a factor of 4 or more in speed with ATLAS and you loose a factor
2-4 with g77 ...

Cheers,
Martin