Compiling Beowulf software

Daniel Ridge newt at scyld.com
Sun Nov 19 14:46:46 PST 2000

Cristopher,

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Christopher A. Busillo wrote:

> Hi, I am having trouble compiling any mpi/beowulf
> program.  I redid a clean install of Scyld preview 2.
> Am I just stupid or am I missing something?  They
> always end in the following:
>
> hcc -m486 -Wall -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math
> -I/h -DLinux -DMPI   -I../src -I../demosrc -o
> ../compile/linux-lam/tachyon
> ../compile/linux-lam/libtachyon/main.o
> ../compile/linux-lam/libtachyon/getargs.o
> ../compile/linux-lam/libtachyon/parse.o
> ../compile/linux-lam/libtachyon/nffparse.o
> ../compile/linux-lam/libtachyon/glwin.o
> -L../compile/linux-lam  -L. -L/lib -ltachyon -lmpi
> -lm
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ltstdio
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> hcc: No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [../compile/linux-lam/tachyon] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/tachyon/unix'
> make: *** [linux-lam] Error 2

This is not a Scyld Beowulf problem. From your enclosure,
it appears that you are trying to build tachyon for LAM.

Your fresh Scyld Beowulf machine probably does not have LAM installed --
we ship a very slightly modified MPICH instead.
BTW: I had a conversation with Jeff Squyers on this point and I think we
might be able to get LAM to support the Scyld Beowulf platform with only a
small amout of work.

In fact, we ship a copy of the Tachyon ray tracer It may already be
installed on your machines). If you have questions about building this
program you can take a look at the SRPM we distribute for this package.

Regards (and good luck!),
	Dan Ridge
	Scyld Computing Corporation