Tyan Tiger 133 experiences?

Richard Walsh rbw at networkcs.com
Thu Nov 9 15:10:36 PST 2000

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Bill Comisky wrote:

>Does anyone have experience using the Tyan Tiger 133 (model S1834D-I) in a
>Linux cluster?  I've used the Tiger 100 in the past with no problems, but
>was concerned with the user reports on the linux hardware database:

We have had problems running the boards at a CAS setting (set in BIOS)
of 2 cycles even with high quality memory from Micro. Tyan has promised
a BIOS that fixes this, but I have not gotten one that works and have
had trouble successfully flashing the old ones. This of course reduces
the benefits of the faster bus. Other than this they have worked fine.
Another point to mention is the asynchronous bus of the VIA chips set;
it also reduces memory performance. The stream benchmarks for these boards
are significantly less than one might guess from their description on paper.

Regards,

Richard Walsh
#---------------------------------------------------
#
# Richard Walsh
# Project Manager, Chemistry and Financial Markets
# netASPx, Inc.
# 1200 Washington Ave. So.
# Minneapolis, MN 55415
# VOX:    612-337-3467
# FAX:    612-337-3400
# EMAIL:  rbw at networkcs.com, richard.walsh at netaspx.com
#
# "What you can do, or dream you can, begin it;
#  Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
#                                       -Goethe