Scyld Beowulf 2 Configuration Question

Kyle Goodwin goodwink at percontor.com
Mon Nov 6 17:09:01 PST 2000

OK, thanks for the advice, I did this and was able to successfully ifconfig
bond0 up, but if I try to give it the correct ip or enslave the eth0 to make
it proper, the system goes down either hard (seg fault, memory dump to
screen, lockup/reboot) or soft (lost communication, auto reboot after
timeout) depending on how I go about it.  So my question has become this: Is
it possible to either a) do this as part of the boot process before the node
joins the cluster so that it joins initially with the bond0 interface and
never has to switch or b) switch safely and enslave the two interfaces while
transferring the cluster client over to the bond0 interface and fixing the
routes etc.?  If neither of these is possible, do you have another way that
you would reccoment going about bonding with Scyld Beowulf 2?  Is it
possible a missing feature area that could be helped with some coding from
the community, or a planned feature for later on?  Or perhaps, has channel
bonding become antiquated and not worth supporting anymore?  I think these
are important questions to look at as Beowulf moves forward into its 2nd
generation.  If bonding is not possible with Scyld I may have to revert to a
design based on normal Linux installation + packages on all systems, a thing
I really would like to avoid considering the benefits I see associated with
the single master and many [somewhat dumb, processing] slaves concept.

Kyle Goodwin
goodwink at jotcluster.org