Computing power of beowulfs for net shutdown

Kevin McAloon mcaloon at networkengine.org
Wed May 17 07:01:27 PDT 2000

Jesse,

Interesting problem... spoken from the attacker's perspective... although the
capability
of certain beowulf systems might also prove effective, were the 'wulf connected to
the
correct "spots" in the net....

> The analysis of interconnected weaknesses *does* seem to be a Beowulf
> application.  There are a lot of network-topology problems here that are
> hard.  Say you have one point of entry to the net, and your goal is (in
> graph theory terms) to decrease the connectedness of the net as much as
> possible.  So you start taking down backbone routers.

It would be nice to have a "beowulf" attached to the backbone routers to try to
thwart
the incoming attack (somehow ;-)) Probably a "man-in-the-middle" approach to
dynamically trace the source and do a complimentary attack....

> a Beowulf would come in handy for strategizing.

Yup, on defense as well as offense.

> update your strategy in real-time as unexpected difficulties arise.

Defense can be your best offense, in certain cases.

> DDoS

My ignorance of acronyms .... could you give me a clue on the DDos definition

> Who owns the movie rights to the beowulf list? =)
>
>         Jesse.

Maybe it will be an "open source" movie :-)

Kev