Does firewire support broadcast?

Richard Rogers rrogers at aa.net
Tue May 16 12:47:30 PDT 2000

From: Eugene Leitl <eugene.leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de>

>I think I heard firewire is switchable, but switches cost a fortune.

100 Mbps ethernet is fast enough for all the unicast
communication, so I don't need a switch for the firewire. I
just need high-bandwidth broadcasting.

>What's wrong with dual channel bonded full-duplex FastEthernet?
>Nominally, the same bandwidth, fully switchable, and there's your
>broadcasting to boot.

My 'wulf's got 2 parallel switched 100bTX networks. I tried
broadcasting over both at the application level, but it didn't
work out very well. That was a while ago, so I'm a bit fuzzy
on the details. The kernel level channel bonding might work
better, but 200 Mbps probably won't cut it. 100bTX hubs
are pretty cheap -- I'll have to see how many slots I have
left. But I'd rather have 1 firewire than 4 ethernets if it'll work :)

 - Richard