Unsubscribe administrivia

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Thu Jun 29 21:26:02 PDT 2000

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, HE Hao wrote:

> I have tried to unsubsrcibe beowulf mailing list

"unsubscribe"  -- misspellings are not accepted.  I deleted this account by
hand.

> for more than one month but always failed.
> The mails sent to ask for unsubscribing are all kicked back.
> Beowulf mailing list
> Beowulf at beowulf.org

Please read the trailer attached to each list message.

We added this text and switched to 'mailman' to make admin actions as simple
and obvious as possible.  The new web interface allows on-line modification
of your list preferences, such as temporarily suspending your subscription
or receiving messages in digest format.

A new aspect is that 'mailman' automatically deactivates subscriptions with
properly formatted mail failures.  A problem for me is that most "invalid
address" bounces are ugly and are not automatically handled, while the
bounces for "temporarily over quota" or transient name server failures (like
the wide-spread problem a week ago) tend to cause bogus subscription
suspensions.  So if you suddenly stop getting list mail after your mail
partition fills up with spam, check the web page to verify that your address
is still active.

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Beowulf Clusters / Linux Installations
Annapolis MD 21403