Neural network on beowulf - query

Victor Ortega vor+ at pitt.edu
Sat Jun 24 11:14:13 PDT 2000

On Sat, 24 Jun 2000, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Ian McLeod wrote:
> > Only FORTRAN can be run in parralel if I read the literature
> > correctly, C++ will not work (or not well at all).
>
> First, I don't know what "literature" you are reading but just throw it
> away if it says only FORTRAN will run in parallel.  Or use it to light
> your fires next winter.

Not so fast!  I do believe it's true that only FORTRAN has native
support for parallelism, in the form of vector operations.  MPI and
PVM are libraries external to the languages in which they're used, and
as such, Ian's statement is correct.  It would be wasteful to burn
some good literature just because the guy misunderstood a statement in
it...

Victor