Beowulfs can compete with Supercomputers [was Beowulf: A theorical approach]

David S. Greenberg dsg at super.org
Thu Jun 22 15:17:50 PDT 2000

Thanks Greg, you made my description much clearer.
My point was that companies like HPTi will help you build a machine with the
attributes appropriate for your problem space as opposed to the traditional
supercomputer vendor who would help you change your applications to be
appropriate to their machine.
Who exactly does what portion of the design was not really my point but
rereading the post makes it seem that way.  The spectrum goes from do
everything yourself (pick components, do wiring, write drivers, load OS, etc.)
to get help customizing a system (tell someone about your apps and what you
know about how they work with various hardware and let them build you an
appropriate machine) to buy an off-the-shelf machine.   All points on this
spectrum can be met today with cluster technology.
David