new SGI Origin & Onyx 3k?

Greg Lindahl glindahl at hpti.com
Tue Jul 25 21:51:58 PDT 2000

> does anyone have experience, or even comments on SGI's new machines?

Nothing that new -- just more of the same. The O3k brick scheme isn't as
flexible as you would hope because the router chips aren't running at full
speed yet. But it sure don't have anything to do with Beowulf clusters,
other than that you can sleep soundly knowing that everyone's favorite
whipping boy for bad price/performance on "MPI jobs with modest
communications and I/O needs" is still alive and kicking.

> ob-beowulf: SGI docs actually
> call this stuff "commodity-off-the-shelf"!

Of course. And it's "highly scalable" even though it poops out waaaay before
1,000 nodes.

-- g