Upgrading Red Hat (Alpha & Intel) w/o rebooting (fwd)

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Jul 6 11:03:14 PDT 2000

I'll just forward this back to the list, since it looks like his post
didn't actually get through (hard to say why not, though).

For all who have been following this thread, this is "the best" way to
upgrade a running RH-based host.  It needs no floppy drive and can be
fully automated (so you can e.g. upgrade via a cron script or from your
desk without even physically visiting the host in question).

Seth is our local systems guy, and a modest linux genius.  He pretty
much runs DULUG, the Duke Linux User's groups (www.dulug.duke.edu --
feel free to join if you are in the area).

Well, maybe that THAT modest...;-)

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu