[yellowfin] GNIC help please

Silicon Jesus siliconjesus@toodrunktodrive.com
Thu Oct 2 00:52:01 2003

I'm currently running a Yellowfin GNIC (Packet Engines) card in my main
server using a Serverworks chipset and with the card in a 64 bit PCI
slot.  The NIC is linked into a D-link DES-3225G switch with a fiber
gigabit module in slot 2.  It seems as though the card does not work at
all unless I dump it into promiscuous mode with an ifconfig eth0
promisc at startup.  If i try to ping out before dumping the card into
promiscuous mode I get a destination unreachable reply.   With the
ifconfig eth0 promisc command the NIC appears to function normally.

Could anyone please tell me if this is caused by the current driver
included in kernel version 2.4.22 or if it may be an issue of me
incorrectly configuring the switch.  I have it pretty much setup as a
base switch configuration with nothing setup to VLAN, trunk, filter,
etc.

Thanks,

Sam