LAM MPI hangs the hamachi driver

Anthony Caola caola@MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 28 17:23:52 2000

Hello all -

I have a parallel MPI code that appears to be hanging the hamachi driver and
G-NIC II card.  The symptoms right now are like this:

1 - When the code becomes communication intensive, one of the nodes will drop
off the network.  ifdown and ifup'ing eth0 sometimes clears the trouble.
2 - If I do anything to slow my code - compile at the -g level or turn on
debugging in the hamachi driver (options debug=6 hamachi) - everything
finishes successfully, but slower.

I'm going to start tearing apart this problem and try to get to the bottom of
this, but was hoping someone might have seen some kind of 'overflow' type of
problem in the past.  Maybe all I need to do is increase one of the tunable
parameters. . .

Our setup is as follows:

16 dual processor pentium xeon III's (dell 610 precision workstations) with
G-NIC II's running Linux 2.2.12.  We use a PowerRail 2200 switch for the
interconnect.

Thanks!

Anthony

Anthony Caola                Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Phone:  (617) 253-6547       Department of Chemical Engineering
Fax:    (617) 258-8224       25 Ames St., Building 66-250
Email:  caola@mit.edu        Cambridge, MA  02139