UDP testing with G-NIC II

pmonta@halibut.imedia.com pmonta@halibut.imedia.com
Wed Jan 13 18:23:27 1999

Thanks to all who sent performance information---I've been
able to reproduce the TCP number of about 368 Mbit/sec on a
PII/350 (100 MHz FSB), Linux 2.2.0pre6, TCP window=65000
bytes.  Most cool.  Perhaps I'll try window scaling, though
it seems like the latency is too low for this to matter;
probably the CPU is just maxed out.

However, has anyone been able to run tests for UDP, for
example ttcp in UDP mode?  I get "transmit timeout" errors
from the driver, but perhaps I'm missing something basic.
Even a small test like "ttcp -t -u -s -n 64 -l 1400" just
hangs after a short time, then subsequent traffic (like a
ping) gives the transmit-timeout errors.  As a pure shot
in the dark, it could be that TCP's window has prevented
corner cases in the driver like Tx ring full.  Or perhaps
I need to increase some kernel UDP or IP resource.

Cheers,
Peter Monta   pmonta@imedia.com
Imedia Corp.