eth0: Something Wicked happened! 0400.

Bernhard Kaindl bk@suse.de
Wed Apr 28 22:34:01 1999

Hi,

the hamachi seems to guess the PCI bus with wrong here.
It detected a 64bit bus where ther only was a 32 bit bus.
this was the result:

 eth0: Something Wicked happened! 0400.

Roughly 0.5 sec to 1 sec later, i got a panic like this:

Found it in linux/net/core/skbuff.c:
/*
 *      Keep out-of-line to prevent kernel bloat.
 *      __builtin_return_address is not used because it is not always
 *      reliable.
 */

void skb_over_panic(struct sk_buff *skb, int sz, void *here)
{
        panic("skput:over: %p:%d put:%d dev:%s",
                here, skb->len, sz, skb->dev ? skb->dev->name : "<NULL>");
}

And then I had i wait for fsck of 21 Gig RAID...

Also, Iīve observed, that the card donīt likes to share itīs IRQ with
a Display Controller or a Disk Controller.

I simply never got the driver working when the IRQ was shared.

Also, the only way I could get the card use a non-shared interrupt
was putting the card into an other free PCI slot.

Hmm... Iīm just loosing my trust into PCI bus and the hamachi.

You just need to know these things...

--
Have fun,

 Bernhard

FYI:

I had real trouble getting it to work on this machine. This machine has
the same motherboard as the production machine where the card should
be used finally. Such oopses are real show-stoppers for my hamachis.

This would be a show stopper because a kernel panic would mean a file
system check over a big RAID array which lasts a few hours and causes
a work-stop of 60 or more people for the duration of the file system
check. This is the reason why a panic is a _real_ show stopper.

The motherboard is showed by the bios at by the BIOS as: ASUS P2B-DS