Testing the GNIC-II (Hamachi) gigabit NIC

Jes Sorensen Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch
Fri Nov 6 06:24:23 1998

>> to recognize that there is a 64-bit card in a 32-bit PCI slot), I'm
>> trying to do some benchmarks. The cards are in a back-to-back
>> configuration between an Alpha-533 and a PentiumII-266.
>>
>> Are there any TCP settings I can possibly tweak to improve TCP
>> performance on large file transfers ?

Alan> The biggest thing you want to do is to use 8K packets if the
Alan> card can support it, instead of 1500 byte frames for gig-E as
Alan> 'aggregation media'

Right, for me with the Alteon card, the performance increases from
like 28MB/sec to around 90MB/sec in a P2 400MHz 440BX (PCI 32/33)box
when going from 1500 byte frames to 9K ones.

However, I would be interested to hear what kind of performance you
get on 1500 byte frames.

Jes