Kernel panic: skput:over:

Sumit Roy sroy@ece.eng.wayne.edu
Thu Dec 10 10:50:12 1998

Hi,
I've been trying to get a Packet Engines GNIC-II adapter up and running
on a SMP Linux box. Here are the details of the hardware:

Mobo:  ASUS P2B-D
Procs: 350 MHz Pentium II (Stepping 1)
Mem.:  256 M SDRAM
       Kingston 100TX (DEC 21140) PCI 10/100Mbit
       S3-VirRGE PCI 4MB

Kernel: 2.1.131
Base System: Slackware 96 (with updates)

I compiled the hamachi driver as a module, and can load it as:
# insmod hamachi

I then bring up the interface:
# ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.39 up

At this point, I cannot ping any other machines connected on the Gigabit
network (we're using a 3Com SuperStack II 9300 between machines).

If I ping the Linux box from an NT box on the Gigabit interface the
machine hangs completely and has to be reset. The final message is:

Kernel panic: skput:over: d001f2e1:65532 put:65532 dev:eth1
	In swapper task - not syncing.

Before that there are repeated messages like this:
eth1: Hamachi transmit timed out, status 00006081, resetting ...

Is this a known problem ? A search with DejaNews didn't give me any
answers. Please let me know if any other information is required to
solve this.

Thanks

Sumit