[vortex] Hello, driver question.

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue May 24 03:21:01 PDT 2005

[ Please set your e-mail client to wrap lines when sending. ]

On 23 May 2005, Harley D. Eades III wrote:

> I can see using tcpdump that arp request looking for the default
> gateway are sent and ack's are sent from the gateway, but the
> TORNADO does not pick them up.

This sounds very much like you are using a 3C905CX (notice CX instead
of C) which does not do the RxReset operation within the documented
time interval; the 3c59x driver was also affected by this, you can
search the archives of this list to find more details and how the
3c59x driver deals with this problem.

> ... is date all the way back to linux 2.0.X so the actual support
> for the TORNADO is not their,

There are not so many differences between Tornado (905C) and Cyclone
(905B)...

> I have noticed while reading the list that people say read this
> documentation here and there but none of the links work, where can I
> find any docs regarding the vortex drivers?

Well, as I wrote before, when I downloaded the documentation from 3Com
I agreed to not redistribute it; probably most (or all) of those that
downloaded it are bound by the same condition. Somebody from 3Com that
supposedly monitored this list promised to look into adding the
documentation back to the web site, so you could download it just as
we did. Unfortunately this is the last that I heard about it... You
can try contacting 3Com (maybe the tach support) and asking them
directly for the file.