[vortex] High Carrier count

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Jan 18 12:39:31 PST 2005

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Johnny Walton wrote:

> I am experiencing a high carrier count without any
> other errors.

I don't remember seeing this before. I would however expect that due
to the nature of the error and the ratio of almost 1:1 between the
number of Tx-ed packets and the number of errors, the transmission
speed is reduced; do you observe this ?

> I am seeing this on all 2.4 kernels and have switched
> cables and switch ports.

This error has probably very little to do with the driver, unless
there is something to do with media settings that the driver is
getting wrong. But as I said, I don't remember seeing this before, if
there would have been some duplex mismatch, there should have been
some frame errors as well...

> Is it safe to say this is a hardware problem?

I don't have any idea, sorry.