[vortex] 3com 3c59x problems with Fedora2

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Aug 31 04:13:55 PDT 2005

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Mladen Martinčević wrote:

> But no solutions for now works for me.

What solutions did you try ?

> Fedora 2 with 2.6.5 kernel

You should probably upgrade.

> the third one eth2 is connected to Cisco router wich is direct link
> to internet :)

Then most likely the Cisco router is configured for forced media for
(at least) this port, which makes autonegotiation fail. Please try to
change the configuration of the port.

> alias eth2 3c59x options=0x203
> or just forsing full-duplex but none of thees
> solutions worked for me.

Best is to allow autonegotiation to happen. Forcing media is only a
last resort and only when you know what you're doing.