[vortex] Problem with 3Com card

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Nov 3 04:44:32 PST 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Bruno Miguel Sousa wrote:

> A few days ago I've started to have problems with my 3Com etherCard.

Classical question: what changed in the hardware or software
environment that could be related to the problem ?

> The Ethercard is working however it is giving too much errors
> which were not usual.

The errors that you posted should only be shown when the driver is run
with a higher than normal debug level. Have you set this debug level ?

> The autonegotiated media type is 100baseTx.
>    Able to perform Auto-negotiation, negotiation complete.
>  Your link partner advertised 40a1: 100baseTx 10baseT.

So, autonegotiation finished - good. It however did not find a
full-duplex partner; what do you have at the other end of the cable:
another card (with cross-over cable), a hub/repeater or a switch ?

If you have a switch that is forced to full-duplex, you should set it
to autonegotiation.