[vortex] 3c59x slow; debug=5 removes the error; why?

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue May 18 04:02:16 PDT 2004

On Sat, 15 May 2004, Christian Ostheimer wrote:

> case 1): insmod 3c59x
>   30-80kB/s; 30% overrun errors

Given the direction of the transfer, I assume that you are talking
about the Rx overruns that ifconfig displays. Rx overruns appear when
the host is too slow for the incoming data, which leads to filling up
all Rx buffers - at this point the card cannot receive any more
packets and everyhting is dropped. This is not a normal situation and
based on the description of your notebook it should be powerful enough
to handle 100Mbit/s.

> case 2): insmod 3c59x debug=5
>   6-10MB/s; 0.02% overruns

This is a bit more normal, however the presence of overruns is still
not a good sign. Furthermore, increasing "debug" leads to lower
performance of the driver as time is spent on the calls to "printk",
which should not increase transfer speed... So it's something to do
with the timing and coupled with:

> PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 0000:02:00.0
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 0000:00:1f.1

... makes me believe that it has something to do with the interrupt
sharing. What is the device that is sharing the IRQ with the 3Com NIC?
Is is possible to disable this device in BIOS and see if the problem
dissapears ?

> downloading from notebook to pc and file transfers by scp in both
> directions give full speed

Hmm, only Rx interrupts seem to be affected...

> Comparing tx and rx packets shows that ftp has 0.7MB tx packets with
> 33 MB rx and scp has only 0.2 MB tx with 33 MB rx.

That's probably because of the TCP retransmissions.