[vortex] Slow transfer with 3c59x and 3c556B CardBus [Tornado]

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Wed Aug 18 17:31:33 PDT 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, January Weiner wrote:

> I am on a 100 MBit FD network.  I have an IBM Thinkpad X20 with a 3 com
> ethernet card; lcpci shows:

My X20 died two months ago or I would be able to reproduce this
exactly.

>   00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c556B CardBus [Tornado] (rev 20)
>
>   I use SuSE Linux 9.0 with kernel 2.4.21, module 3c59x without any
>   additional parameters.
>
>   I used mii-tool to try out virtually everything you can with mii-tool
>   (10/100, HD/FD).

Forcing the speed or duplex will very likely only get you into trouble.

What did 'mii-diag' report?

>   Transfer rates, as shown by ftp up- and download are 10-100 kb/s, slower
>   for incoming data.  At the same time, on other computers in the same
>   network, transfer rates of a couple of MB/s are achieved.
>
>   Windows works OK on the same laptops (however, Windows are of no use to
>   me).
>
>   When I load 3c59x with debug=5, and I get something like that:
>
>   Aug 18 16:34:27 ebbjw kernel: eth0: Updating stats.

This is a bad message.  It means that you are getting errors at a high
rate.
  What does /proc/net/dev report?
  What does 'vortex-diag' report?

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Scyld Software	 			Scyld Beowulf cluster systems
914 Bay Ridge Road, Suite 220		www.scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993