[vortex] problem on debian

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Mar 28 07:34:01 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, [iso-8859-1] Jürgen Sandner wrote:

> kernel: eth0: Too much work in interrupt, status e401

Trying to use a search engine to look for the message (without the
numerical value at the end) gives _lots_ of results. Even with the
numerical value (which is 3c59x specific) you still get enough.

As I often repeated on this list, the problem is that the system becomes
too slow to process the network packets. This might mean that the system
is too slow in general or that the network interrupt doesn't come through
when it's raised, the CPU being blocked for too long in other interrupts.
There are two ways of dealing with this:
- try to make it happen less frequent: increase the "max_interrupt_work"
module parameter, maybe coupled with increasing the Rx (and maybe Tx) ring
sizes (this requires modifying the driver and recompiling)
- try to fix the problem. Based on the interrupt list, my guess is that

>   9:     875049          XT-PIC  aic7xxx, usb-uhci

is the place where the CPU is spending too much time.

I would suggest to first try to get the two devices to not share an
interrupt (suggestions for this were also given on this list and many
others). Then try to find out why the device spends too much time there -
changing the SCSI controller to a different brand (and driver) might help
here. Saying the the 3Com card/driver is at fault is not realistic - as
you can find through search engine results, these network cards are not
the only ones giving this message...