[vortex] Error with 3c59x , Kernel 2.4.20

Alexandre Aufrere loopkin@nikosoft.net
Mon Mar 24 12:50:06 2003

Le Lundi 24 Mars 2003 15:57, Bogdan Costescu a écrit :
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Alexandre Aufrere wrote:
> > Well, i don't know if it's the right place. I've seen other such post in
> > the archives, but no answer was given.
>
> I think that you didn't search enough... But this "error" is a bit
> generic, so a previous answer might not fit your situation at all...
well, yes. i did some googling but did not find any matching case.

> >  NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
>
> This means that it took too long since a packet was queued for
> transmitting. This can have several causes, but in your situation I would
>
> guess that this comes from the sharing of IRQ line with 3 other devices:
> >   5:      11197          XT-PIC  usb-ohci, eth0, Ensoniq AudioPCI, bttv
>
> If one of them doesn't play fair with the others, such problems can occur.
> Try moving the 3Com card to other PCI slot or play with the IRQ
> assignement to PCI slots in BIOS. Although the system seems to have enough
> IRQ lines free, you could also disable from BIOS the on-board Sis NIC to
> free one more IRQ line. Ideally, eth0 should be on its own IRQ line.

yeah, for a while i'm starting to understand that i have IRQ problems in my
computer, as i have other signs about it, that could be either IRQ problems
or other reasons, but your opinion helps me a lot for that matter.
unfortunately, i have a K7S5A, and it's not possible to manually assign the
IRQs in the BIOS, else i would have tested that long time ago :-((

thanx a lot for your answer,

Alexandre Aufrere