[vortex] 3c59x Driver lockup

Ryan Moore ryan.moore@perigee.net
Fri Jan 31 20:09:01 2003

I'm having a problem with several machines with dual 3com 905 cards
(mixed configurations with a 905 and a 905b or two 905bs, etc) locking
up, often (but not always) getting errors such as these in the kernel log:

--
Too much work in interrupt, status e003.
PCI bus error, bus status 80000020

Briefly looking at the archives and searching via google, it looks like
this problem has been run into a decent amount by more than just myself.
This just started happening on a machine that has been running over a
year without a single lockup, running a 2.4.16 kernel that was compiled
from source (also tried 2.4.18, 2.4.19, 2.4.20, getting the problem in all).

At first I thought it was a hardware problem, but I've tried several
different cards (all 905x) and two other motherboards and the problem is
appearing on them as well (all three mobos are Supermicro P6DGU/P6DBU
series.

I've also tried the `bomerang_rx(dev);` suggestion in the driver for
2.4.20 kernel driver to see if it would make a difference, but the
problem persisted. I'm going to do some more extensive testing when I
get back in the office Monday, but was wondering if there were any other
suggestions anyone might have, Thanks.

Ryan Moore
Perigee.net Corporation
704-849-8355 (sales)