[vortex] question regarding driver version

CJ Kucera pez@apocalyptech.com
Mon Jan 13 11:21:00 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 02:35:31AM +0100, m.vernimmen@chello.nl wrote:
> also, can I simply replace the 3c59x.c in the kernel and recompile, while expecting stuff to work afterward?

No, because 3c59x.c requires a few more dependencies which aren't
contained in the base kernel.  The easiest way would be to download
everything in ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/ into a directory of
your own and then do "make all" to create a module.  If you don't
want to compile 3c59x as a module, I've created a patch to 2.4.20
which is available here: http://apocalyptech.com/linux/3c59x/

Note that I'm completely unconnected to official 3c59x development,
so the patch on my site is very likely to be completely unsupported
by the people working on the REAL driver, but it *has* worked for me.
:P

As to why 3c59x is so outdated in the kernel proper, beats me.

-CJ

--
WOW: Kakistocracy        |  "The ships hung in the sky in much the same
apocalyptech.com/wow     |    way that bricks don't." - Douglas Adams,