[vortex] 3c905c 10Mb duplex queries

Richard Scobie r.scobie@clear.net.nz
Sat Feb 22 22:30:01 2003

Hi,

I have just comissioned a 10Mb internet connection via a Linux firewall
box using a 3c905c to a copper-fibre convertor, (still trying to find
out the make and model - it's locked in a steel cabinet)

The suppliers of the connection claim the connection is full duplex and
a check of the boot log shows that the copper fibre convertor returns a
link partner code of 0021 and the 3c905c is initialised as half duplex.

As far as I can tell, 0021 is not a valid code - 0020 is 10baseT.

Using mii-diag, I can force full duplex and an FTP download from a site
a couple of hundred miles away shows "39717604 bytes received in 35.2
secs (1.1e+03 Kbytes/sec)". This seems to be a fair speed, but when I
look at ifconfig stats

TX packets:14117 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:14109
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
           RX bytes:76608689 (73.0 Mb)  TX bytes:944401 (922.2 Kb)
           Interrupt:10 Base address:0xe800

they are showing more or less 1 carrier error per TX packet, which does
not occur when the card is in half duplex.

I am a little confused, as I would not expect to see the throughput that
I do, if the setup is mis-configured in full duplex.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Richard Scobie