[vortex] HELP needed: Cross-over connection to Router not working with 3c509C (Tornado)

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Feb 10 11:22:01 2003

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, [iso-8859-1] Cristian Alonso wrote:

> Yes, the Teldat Router is receiving the packets and
> sending back de ICMP packet.

OK, but I now realized that the diagnostic that I've made in my last
message could not be correct, as the recent kernel drivers print a message
about timeout of the RxReset command. So another thing that could be tried
is to do a complete RxReset - since several months, the driver avoids
resetting the PHY; you need to locate a line:

issue_and_wait(dev, RxReset|0x04);	in the kernel 3c59x.c or
outw(RxReset | 0x04, ioaddr + EL3_CMD); in Donald's 3c59x.c

and just remove the "| 0x04" part, which will produce a full RxReset.
If you have the documentation PDF from 3Com, you could look up the
different RxReset codes at page 137 and play with them; of course each
modification means recompilation of the driver...

>   Manufacture date (MM/DD/YYYY) 10/3/2002, division H,
> product VN.

Hmm, it's too new to be from the same batch...

> (Still no news, did not expect them either (:-)) Let's
> give them a few more hours...

Oh, I would say days or even better weeks if at all ;-)