[vortex] HELP needed: Cross-over connection to Router not working with 3c509C (Tornado)

Cristian Alonso cristiangafotas@yahoo.es
Mon Feb 10 05:01:02 2003

 --- Bogdan Costescu
<bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de> escribió: > On
Fri, 7 Feb 2003, [iso-8859-1] Cristian Alonso
> wrote:
>
> > The card is a 905CX-TX-NM
>
> OK, good to know.
>
> > I see no received packets count/bytes or
> interrupts.
>
> Could you check on the router if packets are
> received ? This seems to me
> like the first thing we heard about the CX cards:
> the Rx part was not
> working properly. Supposedly, the later driver
> versions (at most 1 year
> old) should handle this. It might help to send us
> the output of
> vortex-diag which prints the manufacturing date; I
> seem to remember that
> the very first CX cards needed a higher reset time
> than the rest.

Yes, the Teldat Router is receiving the packets and
sending back de ICMP packet.

vortex-diag -e returns the following:
Index #1: Found a 3c905C Tornado 100baseTx adapter at
0xf480.
Saved EEPROM settings of a 3Com Vortex/Boomerang:
 3Com Node Address 00:04:75:CA:35:71 (used as a unique
ID only).
 OEM Station address 00:04:75:CA:35:71 (used as the
ethernet address).
  Device ID 9200,  Manufacturer ID 6d50.
  Manufacture date (MM/DD/YYYY) 10/3/2002, division H,
product VN.
  A BIOS ROM of size 0Kx8 is expected.
  Vortex format checksum is incorrect (33 vs. 10b7).
  Cyclone format checksum is incorrect (0x8e vs.
0xa5).
  Hurricane format checksum is correct (0xa5 vs.
0xa5).

I am doing the latest tests with the driver included
in kernel 2.4.20. I will repeat them with the newest
3c59x.c at sylcyd.

> > Tha sounds like a good idea. I am going to ask
> 3COM about this.
>
> He-he, good luck :-)
(Still no news, did not expect them either (:-)) Let's
give them a few more hours... I expect them to do
something, because this problem is happening not only
with a copule of cards, but with 100+ that some
company recently bought, and they are not very happy
with 3COM... And they buy a lot of expensive stuff
from 3COM.

> > It does not seem to be a cable problem.
>
> OK.
>
> > Anyway, I have changed the cable and it seems that
> the
> > longer the cable is, the better the connection
> works.
>
> Huh ? You've discovered the holly grail of
> networking :-)

I guess so! ;-) But I tried today with a 10 meter long
cable and still did not work (work as good or as bad
as with 4 meters... Mmmmm! Maybe we should try with a
2 Km meter long cable, and see what happens :-)) .

Seriously, I repeated the test with a 3c905 Boomerang
today and it works perfect with any cable. The
boomerang seems to be 20 years old (vortex-diag says
1/4/2080)-> As always, the older, the better :)

I am starting to suspect that the 3COM cards have some
kind of Hw problem... But still, there is the
PHYCOMPAT parameter that fixes everything in Windows
2000, so it looks like software could fix it...

Thanks again for your help.
Regards,
Cristian Alonso Aldama