[vortex] cannot activate eth0 (3c59x [duh]) in RH8.0 dual boo t system

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Feb 3 09:53:02 2003

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, ZIGLIO Frediano wrote:

> > Please read
> >    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/46.html
> I know that this cause problems (our catalyst is setted 100/Full, my card
> should be 100/Full too instead of autonegotiate)

Well, maybe after reading it you might reconsider and set everything (yes,
including the Cisco device) to autonegotiate.

> but I think that problem is the driver. I experience many problems with
> cards not in autonegotiate (driver say no cable or other, it work
> ramdomly). The same card with eeprom setted correctly work perfectly
> under windows.

In my experience, the Windows driver ignores the EEPROM settings and tries
to be smart; plus, the driver might be written with more information
about the hardware than the one 3Com is giving us. The Linux driver uses
the EEPROM settings because the EEPROM was put there exactly to keep these
settings.