[vortex] cannot activate eth0 (3c59x [duh]) in RH8.0 dual boo t system

Ruben van der Leij ruben@nutz.nl
Mon Feb 3 09:31:01 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 15:07, ZIGLIO Frediano wrote:

> > >  ***INVALID CHECKSUM 0011*** <7>divert: atex
> >
> > Please download the following file:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.3com.com/pub/nic/3c90x/3c90x2.exe

> This is the best solution I found and work very good. Used with mii-diag to
> set speed and duplex solve all my problems.

Good. Glad to be of help. :)

> However if you set speed/duplex correctly in EEPROM mii-diag do not work
> anymore and also network do not run (with or without correct options to
> 3c59x driver).

If you want to *force* your network to a certain speed you NEED to do
the same on BOTH sides. One side forced and the other on
auto-negotiation will cause ongoing grief. IT'S BAD. DON'T DO THAT. :)

Please read
for a detailed discussion of problems, failures and very little succes.

[cc'd to the list]

--
Ruben van der Leij <ruben@nutz.nl>