[vortex] 3com910

Alberto Tobias atr@xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 21 18:06:02 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donald Becker" <becker@scyld.com>
To: "Alberto Tobias" <atr@xs4all.nl>
Cc: <vortex@scyld.com>
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2003 10:57 PM
Subject: Re: [vortex] 3com910

> On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Alberto Tobias wrote:
>
> > 'lspci -v' gives:
> > 00:0d.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation: Unknown device 9300 (rev
31)

> OK, this is _not_ a 3Com designed chip.
>
> This is a ADMtek chip, with a 3Com ID.
>
> You must use the Tulip driver.  The tulip driver in the kernel will not
> work -- you will need the Scyld release.
>
> > The reason I say it is a 3Com 910, is because that's the way windows
> > recognizes it. The PC is  adual boot Win2k/Red Hat and Win2k Shows it to
be
> > a 3Com910: 3Com 3C910 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3CSOHO1008-TX
> > Compatible).
> > The motheboard vendor only mentions it to be a 3Com card.
>
> --
> Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
> Scyld Computing Corporation http://www.scyld.com
> 410 Severn Ave. Suite 210 Scyld Beowulf cluster system
> Annapolis MD 21403 410-990-9993

Wow, thanks.

I have tried to follow the instructions to install the driver as they appear
on the scyld site, but being a relative newbie to Linux I'm a bit over my
head. I cannot get the .c files to compile, as Red Hat cannot find the 'gcc'
command.

Sorry to bother you with this (probably very dumb question), but what do I
do next? My guess is I probably skipped something during the installation,
something I really need right now! Re-installing would be no problem by the
way, since the system is still clean at the moment i won't be losing
anything.

Regards,
Alberto Tobias