[vortex] Problems with 3C920

Michael Wisse mwisse@hs-harz.de
Wed Sep 4 04:19:01 2002

In the meantime I installed the kernel sources on redhat 7.3 (kernel
2.4.18.3), downloaded pci-scan.c ... and tried to compile the new
downloaded driver from scyld again with no success.

I could find out, that redhat 7.3 originally uses 3c59x.o Version LK
1.1.16 with which I could not get a network connection.

Suse 7.2 with 3c59x.o version LK 1.1.13 (27.1.2001) worked well with my
network chip.

Michael

Michael Wisse wrote:

> I updated linux on my notebook. It has a 3c920 network chip, which is
> compatibel to 3c905c.
> Now TCP/IP does not work anymore. If I ping the gateway ore any other
> IP, I always get the answer" destination host unreachable".
>
> Ip, netmask and gateway are ok, win2000 works with these settings.
> The problem seems to be the 3c59x driver module. I tried suse_linux_8.0
> and redhat_7.3, both use the same 3c59x module for my card.
> Unfortunately I can not find out, which version of the driver they use.
>
> After reading in the list archive, I tried options=4 and full_duplex=1
> to set my chip to 100baseTX full duplex, without real success. If I look
> in /var/log/messages, the chip was found by the module as 3c905c
> tornado, the media type was changed to 100basetx and everything seems to
> be ok.
>
> I tried to use the driver source from
> ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/3c59x.c, but I could not compile it,
> many errors from /usr/include/linux/version.h , "no such file
> pci-scan.h" and so on. I tried to compile it on suse_linux_8.0 with
> kernel 2.4.18-4GB and redhat_7.3 with kernel 2.4.18.3.
>
> I'm quite desperated.
>
> --
> regards.
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
> Michael Wisse

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Michael Wisse

Dipl.Ing. Michael Wisse

Hochschule Harz
Fachbereich Automatisierung und Informatik
Friedrichstraße 57-59
D-38855 Wernigerode

Telefon: +49(0)3943/659-324
Fax:     +49(0)3943/659-399