[vortex] Does Wake on LAN work with 3C905B-COMBO and Suse 7.3?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Sun Nov 24 22:30:01 2002

On Sun, 24 Nov 2002, Lutz Bender wrote:

> | It's easier to
> | debug WOL with a NIC that powers up in WOL mode, rather than a 3c905b
> | which requires the OS to boot and run first.
>
> This indeed soundsmuch better. Perhaps you can tell me some NICs that use the
> power-up method?

Pretty much everything with WOL more recent than the 905B.
The 'B' was one of the earliest WOL designs.

Pick up a cheap rtl8139 or ADMtek NIC -- pretty all of the very-low-end
NICs use one of rtl8139C, ADMtek AN985 or occasionally the NatSemi DP83815.