[vortex] One more 3c905 problem :(

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Nov 19 15:44:01 2002

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, David Nordenberg wrote:

> The maching now has a 200W powersupply and that might be to small but should
> the card really need so much more power in 100mbit state?

At higher speeds, the interrupt rate increases, so the whole system might
consume more power. One possility is to try to remove all unnecessary
components (like CDROM drives, harddisks, etc.) from the configuration.

> I also tried to make the card work hard with a ping -f at 100mbit and
> then felt if it was getting hot

I've also tried something similar some time ago when we were trying to see
what are the heat sources in our computers that were randomly crashing and
the 3Com NICs were never hot.

> at both times it hung, the card was almost idle, around 50kb total
> traffic/min.

Well, this doesn't tell much to me. Systems in marginal conditions are
quite impredictible.

> Next time is hungs I try to put in a 250W PSU

I think this alone without any fan might do it.