[vortex] A 3c905B behaving strange

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed Nov 13 15:32:27 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Antti T J Granqvist wrote:

> > > - Setting parameters on 3c905B using vortex_diag and mii_diag from
> > > http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
> >
> > What parameters did you set?  Setting parameters is far more likely to
> > break something than to fix a problem.

> alias eth0 3c59x
> # parameters added by AG 12.11.2002
> # options 3c59x debug=1 full_duplex=0 options=9

I'm guessing that your problem occured when you had options=9.
Why were you setting the options?

What driver were you using?

> > > Btw. Any idea why the 3c905B floods ethernet at boot until Linux kernel
> > > has initialized it?
..
> Also when I did ./mii_diag -R it caused the Ethernet to be flooded as in
> cold boot so that I had to go to the console and restart the network.

The problem here has something to do with your 10baseT repeater.  It's
probably not being flooded with packets, but rather is confused by the
signal from the transceiver.

> > Are you forcing full duplex?
> > If so, why?
> When running vortex_diag eth0 was as it were brought
> up at boot.

> After uncommenting parameters in modules.conf I did /etc/init.d/network
> restart. Is the an acceptable method btw? At least I can see the module
> loaded with those parameters.

That will not reset the module options.

> Then I tried using mii_diag like this:
> [root@fisrv002 root]# ./mii-diag -f -F 10baseT-HD

Why are you trying to set full duplex?
That is the *cause* of the problem you are seeing.