[vortex] 3c905C for a linux router

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri Nov 8 16:24:02 2002

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Ralph Doncaster wrote:

> > Deferring Rx interrupts requires hardware support.  While it's possible
> > to change the Rx interrupt setting to only interrupt with every second
> > or third packet, low rate traffic (imagine 'ping') will be unacceptably
> > delayed.
>
> Low rate traffic for this box would be >10mbps, so 1 interrupt ever 5-10
> packets would be fine with me.  If it's only a couple lines to change in
> the source I'd be willing to try it out.

I just checked -- the 3c905 does not have an Interrupt-in-Rx bit in the
Rx descriptors.  Most other other chips do, and my drivers always sets
the bit.  Doing otherwise is really, really horrible idea and will never
make it into a driver I release.  (Of course if you submit it to the
kernel maintainer a dozen times, it's likely to be put in the kernel
anyway.)