[vortex] 3C905B-FX SC REV-A link problem

Nix N. Nix nix@go-nix.ca
Thu Nov 7 21:56:01 2002

On Thu, 2002-11-07 at 11:50, Donald Becker wrote:
> On 6 Nov 2002, Nix N. Nix wrote:

> > > What driver version?
> > Umm, is this what you're looking for ?
> >     LK1.1.18ac 01Jul02 akpm
> >      - Fix for undocumented transceiver power-up bit on some 3c566B's
> >        (Donald Becker, Rahul Karnik)
> >
> > This is from the 3c59x.c file as distributed with RedHat Linux 8.0

> > > Does 'mii-diag' work?
> >
> > Sorry, I don't have mii-diag on that particular machine, and I don't
> > want to mess with the default RedHat install, because it's a production
> > machine.
>
> Hmmm, I don't understand why you are reluctant to get the proper tools
> for tracking down the problem.  Red Hat has no problem shipping broken
> drivers (see many of the other driver mailing lists).

Alright. I'll bring home a copy of the card, a media converter and a
patch cable.  That way I can play with the card on a non-production
machine, which means that I'll be able to install any version of any
package.  I'll let you know what happens.

I'll try both the stock 7.3 version of mii-tool and I'll compile
mii-diag (if I don't already have it - I never really needed any of
these tools until now).

> Good luck with your problem.

Thanks ! And thanks for all the help.