[vortex] Problems with 3c59x driver network adapter stops working

Malcolm Scott m@lcolm.org.uk
Mon Nov 4 09:59:02 2002

Juergen,

You could try using the 3Com-developed driver from
http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/linux.htm ... I had a few
problems with autonegotiation with the Vortex driver, and the 3Com
driver fixed them. (Specifically, my card would not enter full duplex
automatically; to use full duplex I had to boot Windows (which
autonegotiated correctly) then reboot into Linux. "full_duplex=1" had no
effect.)

I understand that the Vortex developers will want to fix your fault in
the main driver, but you could try this at least as a temporary measure.
(It seems that 3Com aren't actively developing their driver at the
moment, so the Vortex driver is going to be more up-to-date.)

And the Vortex driver developers could possibly use some code from
3Com's driver... it's GPL'ed after all.

Hope this helps.

--
Malcolm Scott   < m@lcolm.org.uk >