[vortex] Re: driver problem?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Sat May 18 13:24:02 2002

On Sat, 18 May 2002 a.brooks@zfree.co.nz wrote:

> Hi I think there is a problem with something here I have a 3c905b and
> i'm running a network to my 10mb adsl router(hub) - straight through
> cable and getting lots of RX errors compared to another card
> davicom(dmfe.c driver) where I get no errors and only about 4
> collisions for the same amount of data.  I'm using the driver that came
> with 2.4.10 kernel 3c59x.c, I think the last update on it was july
> 2001. Should there even be collisions?

Yes, there should be collisions if it is a half duplex link.

The Davicom chip is a bad one to compare against.  Some versions of the
chip don't detect CRC errors in packets.  The driver tries to work
around this by (painfully) calculating the CRC itself in some cases.

Still, in most networks you shouldn't be seeing CRC errors.  These are
likely some other error.  Are you seeing error messages in the logs?