[vortex] WOL doesn't work after shutting down in Linux

David Vos dvos12@calvin.edu
Sat Jun 29 13:53:00 2002

I'm sure that this question has been answered several times over, but I've
searched the web and archives and I still haven't gotten it working.

I have a 3C905CX-TX-M that I want to set up with wake-on-lan.  I set up
the BIOS and it works when I shut down the computer from Windows (98 and
2000).  But, when I shutdown from Linux, the link-light turns off and it
does not listen to the majic packet.  I am using a stock RedHat 7.1 system
that has been fully updated with 'up2date -u', including the kernel.

I have tried the latest stable driver from Scyld's site ("3c59x.c:v0.99U",
according to 3c59x.c), using the pci-scan.  The only way I've gotten the
link-light to stay on was when I did

ifconfig eth0 down
rmmod 3c59x
pci-config -#3 -S
shutdown -h now

Advanced power management is enabled, so the machine turns itself off.  If
I follow these steps, the link light stays on, but it doesn't respond to
the majic packet.

Any ideas?  Would I be better of compiling the kernel myself?  Should I
try some expirimental driver off Scyld's site?

David