[vortex] Mini PCI - no link

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Sat Jun 22 09:13:01 2002

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, Dave Dribin wrote:

> > > Yup, the MAC address is correct now.  No link light, but that is to be
> > > expected with the current change.
> >
> > Try removing INVERT_LED_PWR and MII_XCVR_PWR, one at a time, from the
> > table entry around line 317.  Use 'mii-diag' to see what the effect is.
>
> Nothin' I've attached the results.  I added printk() statements to
> show the before and after values of the reset_opts variable, too.

OK, I'm almost out of ideas about how to turn on this transceiver.
The final idea is  that this isn't a regular Tornado chip with
on-chip transceiver.  One of the CardBus cards requires this:
    (FEATURE_TORNADO & ~HAS_NWAY)
ending up with
   (FEATURE_TORNADO & ~HAS_NWAY)|HAS_CB_FNS|EEPROM_8BIT | MII_XCVR_PWR, },

> BTW, the doc I'm looking at (3c59x.pdf) has ResetOptions at Window 3,
> Offset 8.  Just for grins, I tried changing activate_xcvr() to use
> this, but still no luck.

That register has been renamed to MediaOptions in the 3Com docs.  The
driver uses the name Wn3_Options.  Most bits are read-only with the
initial value coming from the configuartion EEPROM.