[vortex] WakeOnLan with 3c905C-TX-M

Ing. Simanek Milan zam simanek@fel.cvut.cz
Mon Jun 17 04:54:00 2002

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Donald Becker wrote:

> > > On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Ing. Simanek Milan zam wrote:
does not receive WOL frames.

1) When I power off computer, all leds on the card turn off and nothing
   else happens.
2) Both drivers from kernel distribution and from
   http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html do not work.

> > I've added some extra debug info into the driver. It seems, that functions
> > pwr_event nor cleanup_module are never been called. The kernel calls only
> > vortex_close() but NOT cleanup_mdule(). Is it correct? I don't think so.
> > The function cleanup_module contains WOL related code (e.g. acpi_set_WOL).
>
> Ahhh, good debugging.
> The distribution you are using must remove the module during shutdown to
> set the card to WOL mode.
>
> If you try this by hand, comment out the 3c59x line in
> /etc/modules.conf and then remove the 3c59x module.  If you don't do
> this, the 'ifconfig eth0 down' line will re-load the module.

Hmmm, no progress. To eliminate re-loading the module and to be sure of
unloading I tryed to do all work by hand (with alias eth0 line commented
out from /etc/modules.conf):
1) boot the kernel with parameter  init=/bin/bash
2) mount /proc
3) insmod pci-scan
4) insmod 3c59x
5) ifconfig eth0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx up
6) ping -c1 somewhere
7) ifconfig eth0 down
8) rmmod 3c59x
9) rmmod pci-scan
10) /sbin/poweroff

The leds on the card were blinking until the command poweroff turned the
computer off.

It's obvious, that the driver was unloaded. My debug info said
that function cleanup_module was called.

I tryed to skip points 7-9 too and power off without unloading, but with
the same result.

I think that the problem can be out of the driver module, because the card
is receiving frames (leds blinks) after unloading the driver. The card
hangs up at the moment of power off the computer. Is it possible to use
some utility (like vortex-diag) to see the power-mode the card is in
(after unloading the driver)? Is it possible the situation that card is
set up correctly but the problem is with the pci bus driver, or some pci
bridge? Haw can this be detected?

Thanks, Milan.