[vortex] WakeOnLan with 3c905C-TX-M

Ing. Simanek Milan zam simanek@fel.cvut.cz
Fri Jun 14 09:23:02 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Donald Becker wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Ing. Simanek Milan zam wrote:
> > I am trying to power on my PC using WakeOnLan feature, but the lan card
> > does not receive WOL frames. When I power off computer, all leds on the
> > card turn off and nothing else happens.
>
> This indicates that the driver didn't leave the card in D3-warm state.
> Does the driver at
>    http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
>       ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/3c59x.c
> fix the problem?

No. The driver from this page does not work, too. All leds are off and net
card seems to be without power.

May be I do something wrong: I power off my PC using /sbin/poweroff
command. In /etc/modules.conf I have options for 3c95x: debug=3 (for the
kernel-distribution driver I've added enable_wol=1, but this driver does
not support enable_wol option.) I have no other special settings.
Is it correct?

I've added some extra debug info into the driver. It seems, that functions
pwr_event nor cleanup_module are never been called. The kernel calls only
vortex_close() but NOT cleanup_mdule(). Is it correct? I don't think so.
The function cleanup_module contains WOL related code (e.g. acpi_set_WOL).

Milan Simanek