[vortex] 3c905C Tornado probs

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu Jul 11 12:37:01 2002

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Henrik Gram wrote:

> I have two different linux boxes and a number of 3c905C Tornado's - a few
> are made in ireland but most come from singapore and has a different chip on
> it.  I mention this because only the ones that says made in ireland works
> 100%.  I've switched pci slots, cables and switches/hunbs around endlessly,
> and here's what I've come up with:  (they are now both connected from the
> same machine and to the same switch, a 3com 'OfficeConnect - dual speed
> switch').

What driver are you using?
What is the detection message?

>  The autonegotiated capability is 01e0.
> The autonegotiated media type is 100baseTx-FD.
>  MII PHY #24 transceiver registers:
>    3000 782d 0040 6176 05e1 45e1 0003 0000

Good.

> henrik@gonzo:~> mii-diag -v eth1
>  The autonegotiated capability is 0140.

Errmmm,

> The autonegotiated media type is 100baseTx-FD.

OK.

>    This transceiver is capable of  100baseTx-FD 100baseTx 10baseT-FD
> 10baseT.
>    Able to perform Auto-negotiation, negotiation not complete.

There was a problem with autonegotiation.  You got the link partner's
capability information, but didn't finish the last stage of the
transaction.

>  Your link partner advertised 45e1: Flow-control 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx
> 10baseT-FD 10baseT, w/ 802.3X flow control.

But here the transceiver claims everything is fine.

>  MII PHY #24 transceiver registers:
>    3000 780d 0040 6174 0541 45e1 0000 0000

The curiousity is that you are only advertising 0x0140 -- full duplex
modes.  Did you pass a module option, or is there something set in the
EEPROM?

> One thing I've noticed is that the autonegotiated capability is 0140 on the
> 'bad' NICs and 01e0 on the 'good' NICs and negotiation both says completed
> and not completed with the 'bad' NICs.

Yup.

> ping flooding through the bad NICs results in a lot of RX errors and RX
> frame errors (~5 %), but I've seen 10%+ when the box was doing something
> useful instead of just the pings.

This looks like a duplex mismatch.  Perhaps the remote end didn't switch
to full duplex mode because of the questionable completion of
autonegotiation.

> henrik@gonzo:~> vortex-diag -aa
..
>  MAC settings: full-duplex.