[vortex] 3c59.x,Too much work at interrupt, status=0x4090

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Sun Jul 7 13:13:00 2002

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Michael Arndt wrote:

> Subject: [vortex] 3c59.x,Too much work at interrupt, status=0x4090
>
> a big Linux Cluster is reporting the following error on eth0
>
> eth0: Too much work at interrupt, status=0x4090
>
> Can anybody give exact Information what the
> error message status=0x4090 tells exactly ?

Are you certain that you are using the 3c59x driver for this device?
It appears that you are using a eepro100 driver, and it's likely not a
recent one.

For the eepro100 driver, this status means that you are receiving more
packets than the interrupt handler can process.  You should check what
other device is raising interrupts, or keeping interrupt blocked.  A
typical culprit is a SCSI driver.

> -to much broadcast (we still have to monitor, but its
>  a private subnet)

Perhaps...

> -autonegotitation (We now set Speed fixed)

Definitely not.  You should leave autonegotiation on, and never force
full duplex.

> Your hel is appreciated it is an important Linux Cluster
> reference project. More technical info see below.

Hmmmm, you should get your OS from a vendor that supports clusters.

> mii-tool eth0:
> eth0: 100 Mbit, full duplex, link ok
>   product info: Intel 82555 rev 4

> Our module Options in modules.conf:
> options 3c59x  options=0x204

Please don't force full duplex.  That leads to problems.

> Used Module: lsmod eth0:
> 3c59x                  26984   0

This is a misleading caused by an invalid modules.conf setup.