[vortex] 3com 3c905-tx NIC fails to run full-duplex

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue Jul 2 09:56:01 2002

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Will Bending wrote:

> Subject: [vortex] 3com 3c905-tx NIC fails to run full-duplex
>
> I have a couple of 3com "boomerang" NICs that I can't get running in
> full-duplex.  I've been scouring the archives and it seems that these NICs
> are troublesome to say the least.

That's pretty harsh.
Remember that you are reading the bug report list of one the
longest-lasting PCI NICs series.  The driver covers four generations
with dozens of board varients.

> I have them set to force full_duplex=1,1 in /etc/modules.conf and am using the
> 3c59x driver.

What driver version?  What is the detection message?

> full-duplex for the MAC address when diagnosing with vortex-diag, but
> vortex-diag shows them as "3c592 EISA 10Mps Demon/Vortex" and not
> "boomerangs".

What does the diagnostic actually report?  Is the PCI ID correct?

>  This is strange since they were initially recognized by this
> tool as boomerangs earlier in the day.

That hints at a hardware or timing issue.

> mii-diag reports that my link partner (Toshiba PCX1100U cable modem) is not
> autonegotiable and is generating 10baseT link beat.

That probably means that it's not full duplex.  Forcing full duplex will
cause low performance and packet errors.