[vortex] 3com 3c905-tx NIC fails to run full-duplex

Will Bending phishy@cox-internet.com
Tue Jul 2 05:11:01 2002

Hi all..
I have a couple of 3com "boomerang" NICs that I can't get running in
full-duplex.  I've been scouring the archives and it seems that these NICs
are troublesome to say the least.

I have them set to force full_duplex=1,1 in /etc/modules.conf and am using the
3c59x driver.  OS is Red Hat 7.3 kernel is 2.4.18-3.  Both NICs show
full-duplex for the MAC address when diagnosing with vortex-diag, but
vortex-diag shows them as "3c592 EISA 10Mps Demon/Vortex" and not
"boomerangs".  This is strange since they were initially recognized by this
tool as boomerangs earlier in the day.  I have been changing
/etc/modules.conf alot, so maybe that has something to do with the incorrect
naming.

mii-diag reports that my link partner (Toshiba PCX1100U cable modem) is not
autonegotiable and is generating 10baseT link beat.

I have tried options 0x200 to force; and options 20..16..8..
When I force full-duplex, it is reported as such by vortex-diag, but bandwidth
testing shows downloads never peak over 155 Kb/s.  These run at 1.2Mb/s on
the NT machines.

I appreciate any help greatly!
Thanks,
Will Bending